Tuesday, November 12, 2013

I have a Dream


I have a dream;
to wake up someday
in a cottage far away,
tucked into a corner of a mountainside
surrounded by trees,
valleys and peaks.
To listen to the strains
of red breasted robins
singing harmony to
Tchaikovsky’s Spring Interlude.
To sit in a chair,
sipping tea
as white clouds
drift and swirl
forming a tendrilly cap
keeping my wispy thoughts
safe.

I have a dream;
to wake up someday
in a shack on a beach
and feel my hearbeat
echo the crash
of waves on the shore.
To listen,
as the wind blows a raga
that would send
Chaurasia into raptures.
To watch,
as sunbeams
paint a Warhol -esque
masterpiece on the water.
And inhale the scent
of salt and the sea
that settles in my soul.

But for now
I have to be content,
with waking up
to the smell
of spent fuel,
roadside garbage
AC air
 and dreams.
And strain
to hear my thoughts
or my heart
over the sound of the phone,
the traffic and
downstairs aunty’s TV.
And leave half-drunk tea
to form brown rings
inside my cup.
and watch as the plants
on the window sill,
fade slowly,
like my dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment